Our bargaining team started the day by developing a comprehensive package supposal, which we presented to the management team at approximately 11:00 a.m. During this presentation, we let OHSU’s representatives know that we were willing to declare impasse if the following were included in their response to our supposal:
- Health-insurance take-backs
- Tiered language that would pit employees against one another (i.e., different benefits and wage increases for employees based on hourly salary or hire date).
In the late afternoon, OHSU presented a supposal that did not meet the above criteria. After extended discussion about the ramifications, the Local 328 bargaining team declared impasse at 6:15 p.m.
What happens next? On Tuesday, July 23, our team will meet to develop and cost our last, best, final offer on economic proposals. This offer will need to be presented to OHSU by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, July 29. At that point the mandatory 30-day cooling-off period will begin. Additional mediation with the OHSU team will be scheduled to take place soon after the start of the cooling-off period.
For more than six months, AFSCME Local 328 has conducted surveys, visited worksites, hosted town halls and listened to our members’ feedback — our bargaining team took that to heart, and we tried our best to negotiate a fair contract at the table. We know what’s at stake, so we didn’t settle for a substandard contract. We understand that OHSU’s proposed take-backs will hurt our represented employees and families. We know that a fair contract will help our members give the best care to OHSU’s patients and the best support to OHSU’s research and academic missions. We’re disappointed that OHSU’s executive decision-makers didn’t recognize that.
Now more than ever, we need EVERYONE to come together to fight for a fair contract. It’s imperative that our members participate in the following events:
- Informational Picket
- Thursday, August 8, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m., Mac Hall lawn
- Family, friends and non-AFSCME-represented coworkers are invited to attend! Snacks and water will be provided. RSVP here.
- Strike-Info Town Hall
- Wednesday, August 14, 12:00 noon – 1:00 p.m., UHS 8B60
- Get information about the voting process, strike preparation and next steps. Sign up to help us get out the vote!
- Strike-Authorization Vote
- Monday, August 19, through Thursday, August 29
- Voting will take place online as well as in-person on Marquam Hill and various off-site locations.